Korelasi antara kadar serum trigliserida dan nilai carotid intima media thickness pada pasien dengan lupus eritematosus sistemik
Keywords:Atherosclerosis, triglyceride, CIMT, SLE
Background: Early atherosclerosis and its complications are currently the main problems causing morbidity and mortality in systemic lupus erythematosus (SLE). Early detection and diagnosis of atherosclerosis is performed using ultrasound (USG) B-mode by measuring the mean carotid intima media thickness (CIMT). One of the risk factors of atherogenesis that are still controversy and have not been studied are triglycerides.
Objective: This study aimed to determine the correlation between serum triglyceride levels and CIMT mean values in patients with SLE at Sanglah Hospital.
Method: Design of the study was an analytic cross sectional study. The inclusion criteria in this study were 12-year-old or better male and female SLE patients, willing to participate in the study by signing informed consent. The exclusion criteria in this study were patients with other autoimmune diseases, diabetes, obesity, end-stage chronic kidney disease, hypertension, malignancy, smokers. Serum triglyceride levels were tested from blood samples and CIMT mean values were measured with B-mode ultrasound.
Results: From 54 samples, data characteristics were all females, median of age 31.5 (15-57) years, disease duration 44.5 ± 5.408 months, body mass index 20.48 ± 0.541 kg / m2, serum triglyceride 168.46 ± 17.49 mg / dL and mean CIMT 0,475 (0.28-0.84) mm. Those data were analyzed with Spearman correlation, between serum triglyceride level and mean value of CIMT were r= 0,391 and p= 0,003.
Conclusion: Conclusion of this study was that there was a moderate mean correlation between serum triglyceride levels and CIMT mean values ??in patients with SLE in Sanglah Hospital.
2. Urowitz MB, Gladman D, Ibañez D, Bae SC, Sanchez-Guerrero J. Atherosclerotic vascular events in a multinational inception cohort of systemic lupus erythematosus. Arthritis Care Res, 2010; 62: 881-887.
3. Roman MJ, Shanker BA, Davis A, Lockshin MD, Saminaritano L, Simantov R, et al. Prevalence and correlates of accelerated atherosclerosis in systemic lupus erythematosus. N Engl J Med 2013; 349: 25.
4. Smrzova A, Horak P, Skacelova M, Hermanova Z, Langova K, Zadrazil J et al. Intima media thickness measurements as a marker of subclinical atherosclerosis in SLE patient. Biomed Pap Med Fac Univ Palacky Olomouc Czech Repub 2014; 158(3):404-411.
5. Tektonidou MG, Kravvariti E, Konstantonis G, Tentolouris N, Sfikakis PP, Protogerou A. Subclinical atherosclerosis in systemic lupus erythematosus: comparable risk with diabetes mellitus and rheumatoid arthritis. Autoimmun Rev 2017; 16(3): 308-312.
6. Wu GC, Liu HR, Leng RX, Li XP, Li XM, Pan HF et al. Subclinical atherosclerosis in patient with systemic lupus erythematosus: A systemic review and meta-analysis. Autoimmun Rev 2016; 15(1): 22-37.
7. Skaggs BJ, Hahn BH, McMahon M. Accelerated Atherosclerosis in patients with SLE-mechanism and management. Nat. Rev. Reumatol 2012; 8: 214-223.
8. Thomas GN, Tam LS, Tomlinson B, Li EK. Accelerated atherosclerosis in patients with systemic lupus erythematosus: a review of the causes and possible prevention. HKMJ 2002; 8: 26-32.
9. Sheane BJ, Urowitz MB, Gladman DD. Atherosclerosis in systemic lupus erythematosus-epidemiology, risk factors, subclinical assessment and future study. Rheumatol Curr Res 2013; S5: 004.
10. Endorgan D, Gullu H, Caliskan M, Ciftci O, Baycan ST, Bilgi M et al. Fasting hypertriglyceridaemia increases carotid intima-media thickness and impairs coronary microvascular functions in non-obese middle aged woman but not in men. Heart 2006; 92: 259-260.
11. Cabezas MC, Erkelens DW. Triglycerides and atherosclerosis: to feasr or fast. The Netherland Journal of Medicine 2000; 56: 110-118.
12. Chapman MJ, Ginsberg HN, Amarenco P, Andreotti F, Boren J, Catapano AL et al. Triglysceride-rich lipoproteins and high-density lipoprotein cholesterol in patients at high risk of cardiovascular disease: evidence and guidance for management. Eur Heart J 2011; 32(11): 1345-1361.
13. Talayero BG, Sacks FM. The role of triglycerides in atherosclerosis. Curr Cardiol Rep 2011; 13(6): 544-552.
14. Khairy N, Ezzat Y, Naeem N, Taha R, Wesam R. Atherosclerosis biomarkers in female systemic lupus erythematosus patients with and without cardiovascular diseases. The Egyptian Rheumatologist 2016; 39(1): 7-12.
15. Sharma AK, Sharma R, Aloona SP, Rajput S. Correlation of postprandial hypertriglyceridemia with carotid intima media thickness in patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus. National Journal of Laboratory Medicine 2016; 5(4): 1014-1017.
16. Pannacciulli N, De Pergola G, Ciccone M, et al. Effect of familial history of type 2 diabetes on the intima-media thickness of the common carotid artery in normal-weight, overweight, and obese glucose-tolerant young adults. Diabetes Care 2003; 26: 1230-1234.
How to Cite
Copyright (c) 2019 Jurnal Penyakit Dalam Udayana
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
The copyright to this article is transferred to JPD (including without limitation, the right to publish the work in whole or in part in any and all forms of media, now or hereafter known) effective if and when the article is accepted for publication thus granting JPD all rights for the work so that both parties may be protected from the consequences of unauthorized use.
The copyright transfer covers the exclusive right to reproduce and distribute the article, including reprints, translations, photographic reproductions, microform, electronic form (offline,online) or any other reproductions of similar nature.
The authors warrant that their contribution is an original work not published elsewhere, that they have the full power to make this grant and that the article contains no matter unlawful or which invades the right to privacy or infringes any proprietary right.